Massage therapy is the scientific manipulation of the soft tissues of the body for the purposes of normalizing those tissues. Massage techniques affect the muscular, skeletal, circulatory, lymphatic, and nervous systems of the body. There are many techniques or methods of delivering massage, including, Swedish, deep tissue, sports massage, neuromuscular, myofascial release and acupressure. These techniques are often used in combination to achieve the best results and enhance tissue healing.
The benefits of massage include:
- Reduction of muscle tension, stiffness and spasms
- Greater flexibility and range of motion
- Relief of stress and enhanced relaxation
- Promotes faster healing of soft tissue injuries, including pulled muscles, sprained ligaments and reduction in pain and swelling
- Reduction in the formation of excessive scar tissue following soft tissue injury
- Improvement in posture by changing tension patterns in the soft tissues that affect posture
- Creates a feeling of well-being
At Excel Physical Therapy we have Certified Massage Therapists available to promote tissue healing and enhance your rehabilitation from injury. Our therapists are well trained in specific injury rehabilitation techniques and can treat a variety of injuries and ailments with massage, including, back pain, neck pain, sciatic pain, and extremity pain. We can also help eliminate painful compensation patterns from post-surgical conditions. Massage may be indicated for your injury and can be billed to your insurance as part of your personalized plan of care in addition to your other comprehensive physical therapy services.